Monday, February 21, 2011

The Secret Second Life of Dictionaries

I love the look of text.

I am addicted to downloading and using new fonts (I currently have almost 500 on my computer!).  My husband makes fun of me because I can identify the names of fonts used on billboards and business signs.  I just love words.

One of my recent obsessions has been vintage letters and dictionaries.  I found a huge 1,000+ page dictionary at an antique store and of course it came home with me.  I've been using the pages to make thank-you tags for customers who order wedding invitation sets from my shop.  This morning I made a Treasury featuring items made from dictionary pages, called The Secret Second Life of Dictionaries.  Here are a couple of my favorite items that I found:


As part of this recent obsession, I was inspired to create a wedding invitation that looks like a vintage French love letter.  Although the entire text isn't all visible or legible, I wanted it to be authentic, so I did some searching and found an actual love letter written in French that I used as the background, along with antique paper image.  The result?


I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  I am working on a matching save-the-date design now.  I'm also considering how to incorporate a vintage dictionary page into some sort of wedding design.  If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!


No comments:

Post a Comment